CLC Home Find out where CLC is located. Contact CLC CLC Privacy Policy
Christ Lutheran Church Church
Church
Church
Christ

Navigation
Navigation Navigation

ELCA


 
 
 
Printer Version
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5

     Christ Lutheran Church has opened the doors to the future as we entered our new church building in 1997. Where have we come from? What are our "roots" and our memories?

Let's look back...

Beginning: A "home mission"
 
 
     Christ Lutheran Church was originally organized as the first "Package Mission" of the former American Lutheran Church. On September 4, 1950, Rev. Carl N. Busse accepted a call from the Central District to become a home missionary in Wichita, Kansas. Marie Pohlman and Pastor Carl bussee
Marie Pohlman and Pastor Carl Bussee
 

 
parsonage at 1721 North Chautauqua      A parsonage was purchased at 1721 North Chautauqua. Miss Marie Pohlmann, Parish Worker for the central District, did preliminary work in the field here and assisted Pastor Busse in mission work. The first service was held at the University of Wichita on December 3, 1950, with a total of 53 persons in attendance.
 

 
     Property for the church site was purchased at the northeast corner of 16th and Holyoke. This property had a large white frame house on it known as Holyoke Hall, used for Sunday School and fellowship. Property for the church site
 

 
     Organizational planning started on February 28, 1951, at a meeting held at the Fairmount Park Community House. A constitution was adopted, the first Council was elected, and the name of the mission chosen: CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH OF WICHITA, KANSAS.

     On March 4, 1951, the Service of Organization was held in Holyoke Hall welcoming 34 adults and 19 children as charter members. Pastor Carl Busse was officially installed as Pastor of Christ Lutheran Church on April 29, 1951, by Rev. Clarence Hinkhouse, Vice-President of the Central District.
 

 
church picture      The "ultra-modern" chapel which was to serve as the first unit of the church, was designed by architects Ramey and Himes of Wichita, at a construction cost of $20,000. Dedication services were held December 2 and 9, 1951.
 

 
church picture
 

 
     Taking part in the dedication were Dr. E.G. Fritschel, District President; Rev. C. Weber of Wymore, Nebraska; Rev. A. Roesner of Herington, Kansas; and Rev. E. Norling of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church Wichita. The congregation assumed self-support on April 11, 1952. Dr. Fritchel, Pastor Bussee, and Pastor Weber
Dr. Fritchel, Pastor Bussee, and Pastor Weber
 

 
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5

 
 


 
 © Copyright 2002-2008 Christ Lutheran Church or our suppliers, all rights reserved. Contact | Map | Privacy | Webmaster | Home