CLC Home Find out where CLC is located. Contact CLC CLC Privacy Policy
Christ Lutheran Church Church
Church
Church
Christ

Navigation
Navigation Navigation

ELCA


 
 
 
Printer Version
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5

Christ Lutheran Church launches Good Shepherd mission.
 
     On Easter Sunday 1954, Pastor Carl Busse and a committee from Christ Lutheran Church held the first worship service of Good Shepherd Lutheran Mission on the south side of Wichita. Intern Merill Clark came to assist in developing that congregation which was organized on November 21, 1954. Several families of Christ Lutheran transferred to this sister congregation. Its first pastor was Rev. Arthur Schardt, installed in September, 1955.
 
 
Pastor J.O. Baumgartner follows Pastor Carl Busse.
 
     When Pastor Busse accepted a call to serve in Toledo, Ohio, in August 1956, interim pastors Kenneth Will and Arthur Schardt serviced until a new pastor was called. In March 1957, Rev. J.O. Baumgartner was installed as pastor.
 
 
     In September 1959 the parsonage at 1721 N. Chautauqua was sold, and Pastor Baumgartner and family moved into the new parsonage at 2725 N. Fairmount. The house was purchased by the church; dedication and Open House were held on November 30, 1960. Pastor Baumgartner (1991)
Pastor Baumgartner (1991)
 
 
     On March 5, 1961, Christ Lutheran Church observed its 10th anniversary with morning and afternoon services, and Rev. Arthur Schardt of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church preaching the anniversary message. Dr. E.G. Fritschel, Central District President, was guest speaker at the morning worship service.
 
 
Christ Lutheran Church moves (literally) to a new location.
 
     In 1961 the congregation called upon the services of Harry Bunge, assistant to the Central District President, and Dr. Otto Hesla, Regional Director of the Board of Home Missions of the American Lutheran Church, to determine the best location for Christ Lutheran Church.

     There were several churches in the area of 16th and Holyoke; the site was very small; the area included parks, a golf course, cemeteries, and the era's social and racial barrier of Hillside Ave. The congregation voted to seek a new location northward, with church wide consultation. A loan of $45,000 was obtained from the Board of American Missions plus a $7,676 subsidy over a 3 year period following relocation and building an addition.

     On January 25, 1962, the church trustees signed a contract to purchase 4 acres of land at E. 53rd St. N. and N. Hillside at the cost of $4,000 per acre. The site is readily accessible to all residents in northern Wichita and surrounding communities, and is located across the street from Heights High School.

     The building committee selected Jack R. Jones of Uel C. Ramey and Associated Architects of Wichita to design construction. Walter Stauffer was chosen as construction contractor. Plans where made for the physical relocation of the current church building to the new site and construction of and addition.
 
 
church pictures
church pictures church pictures
 
 
     The foundation was laid... and on October 25, 1962, F & H Moving Co. moved the first of 3 sections of the chapel from 16th and Holyoke to 53rd and Hillside on a truck!
 
 
church pictures church pictures
 
 
     Pastor Baumgartner and members devoted many hours of hard work preparing and painting the building. There was great concern as to water supply; then on New Year's Day 1963, water was found at a depth of 135 feet.

     Worship services were held in the Heights High School Auditorium for two Sundays until the chapel could be used at its new location.

     The church at its new location with additions of fellowship hall, pastor's study and rest rooms, was dedicated on March 31, 1963, with Dr. E. G. Fritschel of the President of the Central District of the American Lutheran Church. Color slides taken during the groundbreaking ceremonies, moving the church, and construction of the new Parish hall were shown. The property on Holyoke was sold in May, 1963, to Mr. Bill Winney.

     Pastor J.O. Baumgartner accepted a call to serve in Oberlin, Kansas, in October 1964. In January 1965, the Rev. Harold Schmidt was installed, serving until March 1966. In June 1966, the Rev. Darrel Fedde was installed as pastor at Christ Lutheran Church, serving until 1968.

     While Pastor Darrel Fedde served Christ Lutheran Church, the building was remodeled inside and out, and pews were added. Pastor Fedde crafted a processional cross and wall plaques from oak pieces left when pews were made smaller to fit the sanctuary.
 
 
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5

 
 


 
 © Copyright 2002-2008 Christ Lutheran Church or our suppliers, all rights reserved. Contact | Map | Privacy | Webmaster | Home